Much has changed in the healthcare selling arena. Unfortunately, the way your team is selling has not. The top challenges medical device sales reps are currently facing include:
- Getting access to buyers
- Transitioning the conversation from selling product to discussing healthcare economics
- Focusing on value and insight and what matters most to patients, for those areas that require research and information
In today’s current market, healthcare sales representatives are faced with the task of working with an increased number of influencers in the buying process—all with different needs and perspectives. Not only must sales reps be knowledgeable about their product, they must be able to address concerns about value and price as well. Whoever the decision makers are, they are looking for sales reps that can provide information and insight.
With these challenges, reps must ensure that:
- In every interaction with physicians and decision makers they are constantly creating value.
- They are providing valuable insights that will help open and continue a dialogue.
- They meet the buyer’s expectation that their partners and vendors will be strictly focused on providing a full solution that helps engage patients, shares risk and offer a cost/benefit value proposition.
- They develop trust to build long term relationships.
Sales reps must now have a plan in place to understand a buyer’s economic situation in addition to a patient’s needs. Using Strategic Account Management tools and team selling will help when cultivating relationships with C-level administrators and doctors. Planning for and understanding a buyer’s complex business challenges are vital in these changing times.
Craig McMullan, Vice President, Sales Effectiveness with Fusion Learning Inc., is considered a leading expert in sales training within the healthcare industry. He spent 16 years at Johnson & Johnson and has worked with clients in the pharmaceutical and medical supply industries, including Stryker Medical, Kimberly-Clark Healthcare (US), Astra Zeneca, Novo Nordisk, and Eli Lilly.
Fusion Learning Inc. is one of North America’s fastest growing sales effectiveness firms. We are in the business of aligning individual and team sales efforts with overall strategy; enabling leaders to instill more discipline and accountability in customer-facing professionals; and developing sales and service skills and techniques that produce results.